Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Quadshot foam change from EPP to EPO 
Site Admin

Post Quadshot foam change from EPP to EPO
Hi,

As some of you may have read in the Kickstarter update article, we have decided to change the material the foam parts of the Quadshot are made of to EPO (Expanded PolyOlefin) from EPP (Expanded PolyPropylene).

If you have any questions related to this please feel free to reply to this topic.

Cheers,
Esden and TRI team.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:59 am

Post Re: Quadshot foam change from EPP to EPO
What sort of delay is this going to cause ? I am on board with picking a better material but am curious to understand what the decision was based on to justify a delay ? Hopefully it is a performance enhancement decision and not a cost cutting ( aka profit raising ) decision.

I thought the wings had already been ordered and were in already ?

Any ETA on espresso ?

Any new videos?

Art

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:45 am

From a performance perspective, a crash almost always results in hitting the motors. They are out front ahead of the airframe as they are not protected by the nose like on most multi engined aircraft with a fuselage. So in a hard crash the EPP would not resist but rather bend to absorb the crash. This allows the motor mounts to take the crash and bend or break. With EPO, the foam is stiff and resists bending and so does not let the motor mount bend. The pylon pops off to absorb the damage instead. The EPP doesn't help as much as we would like it since it usually does not hit the ground first.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:21 am

From the kickstarter post, this move is likely to accelerate production, instead of delay it (and was part of the decision if I'm reading between the lines correctly).

Of course it would be nice to know the revised production schedule, even with some uncertainty, guys?

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:27 pm

From a delay perspective, we would have to change the plastic that the pylons are made out of, and they are already made and paid for. Not only would we have to wait for new ones to be made but there is also the testing and refining of the foam mold, when it is ready now for EPO.

If I am not mistaken it takes three weeks to mold and ship the foam. This is the longest lead time right now. However, Piotr is out on vacation until next week, and he has the heaviest work load. So things may be delayed if he cannot finish what needs to be done. At the very least the brainless airframes can ship without anything from Piotr. Then there is another week (or two, we'll see) for assembly, but they will be shipped as each one comes off of the assembly line. That is the absolute shortest timeframe. But, being new to all of this, our predictions are probably off for manufacture, as it was wrong for just about everything else ):

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Thanks Chris, good to at least have a vague idea. I have about six really cool things that haven't arrived yet, as most of them were kickstarters. Delayed gratification is apparently now a way of life for me.

I've been really impressed with how you guys are holding up, making clear progress, and getting it done, even if not as easily or quickly as you might have hoped.

Looking forward to having the Quadshot in time for summer flying.

Happy skies-
-RG

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]