Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
First major crash—flips in the air in Mode 1 

Post First major crash—flips in the air in Mode 1
Hello, everyone. I've been flying my Mocha for a couple weeks now, and am very comfortable with it in Mode 1. I find that it can fight wind if you really power through it, and when turned into the wind, hovers quite nicely with a bit of forward pitch.

However, I overstepped my skills today and flew it when there was too much wind. Suddenly, during flight, my Mocha inverted twice in the air, resulting in a crash into asphalt. No really serious damage, luckily (amazingly!). But what might have resulted in these little flips? I did have a GoPro HERO2 in a housing attached, which definitely changes the center of gravity and makes the quadshot harder to fly.

I have a video which I'll post when I can. Thank you!

Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

Post Re: First major crash—flips in the air in Mode 1
Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheuS9xj ... e=youtu.be

It sounds like I might have cut the throttle on accident, which seems like it would have led to an immediate inversion (as it did, here). Does throttle in Mode 1 and letting go of everything else usually lead to a recovery, in this case? Or did I have no chance? :)

Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Usually, if you have a camera attached, throttling up after an accidental throttle cut with slight back pressure on the pitch stick should allow recovery just fine.

Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:24 pm

Yeah...I did this twice yesterday messing around in mode 3...manual recovery is a lot slower than flipping to mode 1, if you can reach the switch fast enough. Luckily only broken props too.

Actually, on of the crashes was caused by an O-ring breaking during a loop, I think. Be sure to check them for cracks periodically; I ended up replacing two that were quite old.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]