Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mocha maiden flight 

Post Mocha maiden flight
My first flight was a success!!
It took a lot of adjustment to the trim settings on the included radio to get the QS out of safe mode.
Once in the air it required full up elevator to keep the QS from drifting towards me.
I will play with the servo control horn linkage to attempt to correct.
All in all, no real problems - a very longly anticipated first flight!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Post Re: Mocha maiden flight
WOW full up elevator...

After plugging in the battery, the servos should go to neutral in about one second and hold there. Unplug the battery after they move and adjust the elevons as necessary...I hope that is the only problem. But, seeing as it was controllable regardless, it seems it shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 am

Yes, that was all it needed.
I have made several more mode 1 flights with very few problems.
Slight drift in the yaw axis - does not seem to be a trim issue as it comes and goes.
Also, centering sticks does not return to hover - this may be a trim issue.
I will try to setup a video camera for the next flight.

Only one small crash in which one of the pylons twisted off (as designed).
Unfortunately the prop took a little bite out of the leading edge.
I guess I will try that steam repair technique... that and a little CA to reattach where seperated.
Still airworthy though!

This weekend I will try mode 2/3 flight (weather permitting).
*Wish me luck!*

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:16 am

Wow...

Maiden flight (hover). I am an absolute rookie and it was pretty obvious. I just went to the back yard since I wasn't planning on doing anything except hover.

I got it to lift, but I was unable to get a hover to hold. I am going to attempt the following terminology and no idea if I am accurate.

Standing looking at the "top" (looking at A1/ A2 motors/ housing area) once I got it to lift it would move towards me and to the right. I did this initially and due to space I had to drop the power for my first landing which quickly turned into anything but gentle. Both of my winglets fell off :lol: my wife and I were in hysterics as we replayed the video and listened to our oohs and aahs turn into oops and oh nos. This is due to the glue being horrible for the smooth surface areas of the frame and winglets. Glad they broke clean off as opposed to damaging the frame.

So to the point, what adjustment should I make to stop that movement? Wind was not a factor.

Should that have been yaw input? or an actual adjustment to the transmitter trims and to that which one?

Sorry about the noobness of these questions, I just freaked out and was more concerned with getting it safely up and down, not sure I would have had a whole lot of time in each scenario to make much adjustment on the fly.

Thanks for any input you may be able to give.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 pm

So I actually helped someone that came over and brought their Mocha get off of the ground. I let him fly it initially to show me what trouble he was having, and it was mainly that it wouldn't stay put. It was dead calm, too. So I flew it, and it was the trim. I simply trimmed it to hold position with no wind. He then had a ton of success with it. The important thing to check is that if it will start up again without complaining that the trims are too far off. The trouble with the transmitter is that the trims are never exactly the same, and that if you click it right a few times and then back to the left, it actually won't go left for two or three clicks. It is definitely nice to have digital trims for the QS.

And yes, the glue is not the best. Hot glue holds through rougher tumbles. We have yet to damage a wing at the tip after switching the EPO. All of the EPP ones ripped. But even straight down from 200 feet onto a dirt road, the winglets simply popped off.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 pm

I second the trim issues. I have another TX with digital trims (Spektrum DX6i) but it doesn't have a three way switch.
I am seriously considering switching over to it...
I saw where another user did this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=811&hilit=dx6i
but did not see the results.
Any thoughts on doing so?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:17 am

My maiden flight was a total disaster. After re-reading the instructions there's a reference to the controls gradually shifting in mode 1, but the referred discussion about that behavior doesn't exist. Would have helped to have known that, as it may have been a factor.

Frankly the control schema seems overly complicated, and results in difficult to understand behavior in real time. Instead of being helpful to me, I found mode 1 distracting and like flying in galoshes. Testing directional controls had so little authority I couldn't actually control the aircraft enough to overcome a barely detectable breeze. After reading other posts, I'm not sure if it was wind or trim that was the problem.

No matter what I did, the Quadshot drifted rapidly away from me, to the point that I had to cut power entirely due to safety concerns. Trying to command helicopter yaw was *totally ineffective* full deflection = no rotation, other axes were also sluggish and lacked authority. By the time I might have figured out horizontal flight, it was so far away that I couldn't discern orientation reliably.

End result, four broken props, destroyed nacelle, both wingtips slightly damaged but probably salvageable. Total flight time, about 30 seconds. I waited a year for this?

I am an experienced RC pilot, so this really shouldn't have been so difficult. I am trying to maintain a calm and rational demeanor, with some difficulty given what a total disappointment this was.

Better flight instruction documentation, including specific control inputs for specific practical (not just theoretical axes control) maneuvers should be a top priority for documentation. I'm wondering if mode 3 might actually be easier, as it would fly a bit more like a regular A/C, without trying to "help" me to the point of total kinesthesia confusion.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:26 pm

rocketguy: that sucks.
I have very little RC flying experience and have managed to fly mine relatively well (IMHO).
Controls seem fairly responsive - my only complaint thus far has been that the trims are annoying.
One thing that I noticed right off the bat is that the yaw controls in mode 1 seems backwards from what I am used to (little Blade RC helis).
That has caused more than one mistake and small crash.

I have not moved to a field where I feel I have enough room to transition to forward flight yet (exit mode 1 to mode 2/3) - I am not brave enough to do so in my relatively cramped backyard.

I'm not sure I have seen what you are referencing about the controls shifting. Can you describe how it felt further (for the benefit of other users, if nothing else)?
Where you in mode 2 - I only assume this as you mention horizontal flight.

I think some pre-flight checklist to verify controls and autopilot functions would go a long way here.
My first flight was almost a disaster as the servos needed serious adjustment - it was all I could do to keep it from mowing me over! ;)
If I get some time I will try to put together what I have learned but I should in no way be considered an expert / authoritative.

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:34 pm

If anyone cares to see my terrible flying skills...
http://youtu.be/zBPmB1uzON0

I swear I have had better flights! ;)

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Rocketguy, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience!

Your supposition about Mode 3 is correct. Mode 3 is the most conventional "airplane mode" with the aileron stick producing roll via the ailerons as you would expect and a rudder stick input producing yaw with respect to the wing rather than the ground as in the other modes, and it uses rate based control logic rather than an attitude based control logic which is going to seem more "normal" for you too.

Yes you can still hover the aircraft in mode 3 (just beware of the initial takeoff where you are safest using the vertical seeking nature of Mode1) and experienced pilots will prefer Mode 3 much of the time, and may still prefer to land in Mode 3 as well - just get used to it up high because the feel is a bit different (and you may want to disable any expo/use high rates).

Essentially the controller switches from "Earth Frame" to "Body Frame" when you go to Mode 3, and switches to rate control.

I for one would pay extra to have them do the code work to keep roll commands resulting in roll and yaw resulting in yaw at all times! (but they know that!) :twisted:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next