Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Wingtip Green LED not working, suggestions? 

Post Wingtip Green LED not working, suggestions?
I got my Mocha #143 a couple of days ago. After having trouble gluing the winglets on with the CA, (they would fall off no matter how long I held them in place) I finally gave up and got some Gorilla Glue instead. A little messy but it worked OK.

Now doing preflight setup and checks, and I find that the green LEDs on the wingtip do not light up. All of the others work OK. I assume that the green LEDs are supposed to light up in some fashion when the Quadshot is powered up? I followed the instructions to check motor rotation, etc and trimmed out the remote control so that all worked as it should, and the LED situation is the only thing holding me back from flying.

I looked at the assembly instructions (even though this one was fully assembled when I got it) and it shows that green and black wires go to the wingtip LEDs. I looked at the main board and there is a green and black wire pair that appear to be attached to the circuit board OK.

These LEDs need to work, obviously, so how can I go about troubleshooting to see where the problem lies (if there is a problem or if I'm missing something)? I have a fair amount of experience with prototyping electronics.

Edit: I did see the other post about LED problems after I posted this, and I really don't want to carve it up to fix a manufacturing defect, but I will try if you can provide detailed instructions with some pics of what needs to be done. After all, I got it fully assembled because I didn't want to mess with all the parts and pieces. I've got too many other projects already.

Thanks in advance for the help. Really looking forward to flying with my GoPro attached!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Post Re: Wingtip Green LED not working, suggestions?
It won't affect the flying characteristics at all, unless you fly at night, which is not what these lights are designed for. They do not provide enough points to determine orientation in all situations. I wouldn't recommend it. In the day the blue lights are the easiest to see.

I will probably get some pictures up mid next week.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Post Re: Wingtip Green LED not working, suggestions?
What are the wingtip lights designed for? I thought it was so you could tell left from right while it is in the air, no?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]