Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Battery Issue? 

Post Battery Issue?
I have been charging my battery for the last six hours and the LEDs on the charger have yet to turn green. The guide says it should take around 3 hours, has anyone had it take this long to charge?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:22 am

Post Re: Battery Issue?
Still no green lights. Unplugging for now.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 am

Ended up trying again. Left on power for 10 hours before I got green lights. But then I got the propellers spinning the right direction and decided to try a take off. The quad flipped and broke two props. Re-checked motors, they are spinning in the right direction... and I now have to wait for new props to show up. Starting to think this is not the right plane for me with all the trouble I am having.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:50 am

We have had a problem with one charger we sent out so far. Do you have a voltmeter? Can you check the voltage on the battery? You are right; it shouldn't take that long to charge.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:59 am

Chris,

I tried a recharge to see what would happen, and now the lights are all green, but when plugged into the quadshot it is dead. Voltage from the battery is 3v. Checking charger I get 6v from the red pin and 18 from the yellow pin.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:57 pm

I finally thought of a reason why it would flip over, if the props and motor directions are correct: maybe the ESCs or servos are plugged into Lia incorrectly?

To check, open the brain compartment.

On the left side of Lia there are 6 connectors: 2 with white/red/black wires and 4 with orange/red/brown. Unplug the lowest orange/red/brown one closest to the LED and look at both sides of the connector. There should be 1 on either side written in easy to see silver or hard to see black.

The order should be:

Orange with a 1 with the wires originating from the left in the spot closest to the LED, orange with a 2 next from the right, orange with no number from the left, orange with no number from the right, white from the left and finally white from the right.

If there are no numbers on the connector, there are multiple ways to figure out which one is which.

You can grasp the orange wire at ESC A1 and the suspected A1 wire in the frame and give a slight tug. You will feel it move on the other end.

The other method is to remove the props, plug in only one connector and turn the QS on and spin it up.

About the charger:
At the white four pin charging jack ours reads about 4V at the left most pins, 8V at the left pin and the third pin, and 12V at the left pin and right most pin.

The battery should read 3V at the very least for each cell up to 4.2V at the very most. Reading at the white connector, the individual cell voltages can be obtained by checking these combinations:
black/white, white/yellow, yellow/red. These readings should be very close.

If you check black/yellow it should be 6V at the lowest and 8.4V at the most.

If you check black/red it will be the total voltage, no less than 9V and no more than 12.6V.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:39 pm

A way to check that it's correcting the right way might be to hold a hand on the center of the wing from the top, gripping it like a hamburger (although in grip position 90 degrees from horizontal, given its takeoff orientation) and then slowly increase the throttle until all four props are starting to spin at low power. Now, tilt the Quadshot left/right and front/back, and you should be able to tell which motors are speeding up in an attempt to stabilize itself. For example, tipping it left should speed up the left motors (the ones that are now closer to the ground). This way if things are reversed or something, you'll be able to tell while you're holding it under control, rather than having to just give it throttle and cross your fingers.

Just watch those hands and those props.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 pm

If you remove the props and just barely get the motors spinning, the correct motors will spin up and the others will stop completely if you tip it far enough (I think).

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Sorry guys, was out of town and just getting back to this.

I tried to recharge again, on battery plugin I get cell one as green and two and three as red (even though the motors will not spin up all the way when plugged into the quad). It charges about 3 hour now before it turns green.. but when I plug it in I get blinking leds and only one or two motor will spin. Fully charged I get 8.3V on the black/yellow and a matching 8.3 on the black/red. As far as the charger goes, I am a little confused as to how you are taking your voltage measurements, I am not seeing anything like you have listed.

What is the return policy on the charger and battery? Can I send them both back and get a working set?

Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Yes, certainly.
We can definitely send you a replacement batt and charger.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next