Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Mocha transmitter charger socket 

Post Mocha transmitter charger socket
Hi guys,

I just discovered, that the transmitter delivered with the mocha comes with a charger socket.

Now I got two questions:

1. Is the socket connected?
2. If so: What kind of charger do I need to charge the 8*AA inside the remote?

Charging inside the transmitter would cut my charging time into half, because right now I have just a stand alone charger for 4*AA. I was already looking in the wiki but have not found any information about this.

Thank you very much,
webman

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Mocha transmitter charger socket
I would not use that. I do not know exactly for sure, but I assume that it is not hooked up to anything at all on the inside. But, if it is hooked up, it would probably fry the transmitter. And, you should never charge alkaline batteries. If you want to use rechargeable batteries I would suggest taking them out of the transmitter before charging and using the separate charger.

I have modified the transmitter we use here slightly: I took out the metal tabs in the battery area and soldered on a new connector to the wires. I also put velcro on the inside of the battery area and use a 3 cell 2200 lipo flight battery to power the Tx. I did use a small 250mah 3 cell that fit with the lid on, but was always nervous about running it too low, since the light on the transmitter would only turn red once the lipo gets down to a level where it would be practically destroyed.

In your case you could rewire the metal tabs such that it were 2 sets of 4 cells in series, and then those two packs of 4 in parallel. That way you get double the run time. The reason this works is that the company that made these transmitters put in a 5v regulator, which we assume was a cheaper way to do it than whatever they had before. If you open the Tx you can see a bunch holes in the board where something used to be.

Or, you could move the tabs such that it only uses four cells, so you can charge four while using four.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:48 pm

Hi Chris,

thank you very much for your answer!

I prefer the last setting you described: "fly with four while charging four".

I will give the transmitter a closer look in the end of the week and report.

webman

Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm
Profile WWW

I forgot to mention that the light will then only show red, I think, and won't tell you when the batteries actually get low, so it can be dangerous; we have accidentally ran the battery dead during flight once, luckily seconds after takeoff and less than a foot off of the ground, but be careful if you do that, or install a voltage indicator of some kind.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks again, Chris.

Checked it: You are right about the red light problem. So I started looking for an low voltage indicator which would somehow fit. Doing so a convenient offer of another AA charger crossed my way. So the problem with the long charging time is solved for me by charging all 8 AAs in two chargers at the same time. :)

But I will keep this in mind and maybe get later back on it.

Regards, webman

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]