Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Repairing a damaged frame? 

Post Re: Repairing a damaged frame?
We have flown QSs until the elevons fell off, and with 2cm cubes missing from the leading edges, without us noticing worse flight characteristics. I'm not saying to do that, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. To fix the elevon, you can use any glue really, but the more flexible, or the thinner the better. If the chunks of missing foam worry you, I would cut out the damaged piece and replace it with either a hand made replacement or you can buy a replacement wing and cut out the same piece from the new wing.

CA is easy to get, thin, not flexible, and takes a long to dry when used on this foam.
Hot glue is easy to get, flexible, but thick.
Epoxy is easy to find, thick, and not flexible.

The best stuff is plastic adhesive, but some people have a hard time finding it. Shoe Goo is basically the same stuff. Personally I would go with the CA first since I have the most experience with it and then Shoe Goo next.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:43 am

No problem, sorry for the delay in response; I was on a business trip.

As for the damaged motor, it may be useful to hold on to. It is possible to straighten the shaft if you are short on cash. You can also disassemble it and use the bottom half for replacement parts (such as if one of the motor wires break or something).

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:06 am

Any of those methods will work.

The best and probably easiest would be to get a new wing and cut out identical sections from each wing and just graft on the new piece.

The low cost ways are:
Cut around the damage in a rectangular pattern and fill it with a block of foam, then reshape it.
Fill it with expanding foam and reshape it.
Cover over it with paper, card stock, or simply tape. Just don't push on the surface.

We have a QS flying with a chunk of the wing missing, about half the size of yours, without a noticible loss in performance, although that one is now designated for new pilots to train on.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:49 pm

They will most likely let you fly one of their trainers for free, or at least with a membership. I suggest flying something else (that is simpler) to learn the basics; keeping it within the field and learning left and right when it is flying back at you. Intermediate skills to learn are speed and space management; if there are obstacles around, what do I do after this turn? Will there be enough space to avoid the next obstacle? Merely flying it around the field is one thing, but making sure that you never have to panic because a tree or power lines suddenly jumped up out of the ground is another.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm

The problem here is that the software is not setup to use signals from the DIYDrones board. To make it compatible, you will need to modify the QS1RX6 radio file in conf/radios to the appropriate input signal time constants.

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]