Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Can´t get past safemode 

Post Can´t get past safemode
Hi

i can´t get past the two blinks, both my throttle and the trim is all the way down, but it will not go to the next step.

What am I missing?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:16 am

Post Re: Can´t get past safemode
The Quadshot needs you to trim each axis one at a time, and the flashes indicate which trim to adjust next. I was stuck on this too until I read the manual, specifically if you go to this page http://wiki.thequadshot.com/wiki/Mocha_User_Manual and then scroll down (or use control+F to quickly search) to the section "Safe Mode LED Blink Codes and Solutions". They should put a sticky topic here with a link to this specific part of the manual, because it seems like I've seen a few people stuck on this step like I was for a bit.

For starters, make sure the toggle switches for D/R A and D/R B are pushed "away" from you when looking at the face of the transmitter. From this perspective, then switches CH6 & CH5 need to be "up" at the position labeled "1". Roughly center all the trims, and slide the left throttle stick "down" all the way. Turn on the transmitter, set the Quadshot on a level surface and plug in its battery. Wait 10 to 20 seconds for the fast blinking to finish, as it initializes its sensors. Now it should be giving a few slow blinks. Put the battery door on.

When it is giving two slow blinks, now begin sliding the throttle trim down until it satisfies it and you begin getting a pattern of more blinks (sometimes you'll have a trim already in the right spot so it may go from two blinks to four, just so it's not unexpected if it seems to be weird that it might not blink each for 2, 3, 4, etc).

When you get it to begin doing three slow blinks, begin slowly moving the right roll trim, which is the left/right below the right stick. Mine has to be noticeably left of center to hit the "sweet spot". Don't worry if yours ends up off-center like mine does, because you're just trying to achieve what the Quadshot thinks is neutral - it isn't going to take off and roll way left just because the trim is way left. It's like the transmitters have a variation in their construction, as to where the zero actually is. Luckily it stays in the same spot, so my roll trim is always about two lines to the left.

Once that one hits the sweet spot, you get four blinks and now you adjust the pitch trim, which is up/down next to the right stick. Once that's achieved, you will be getting five blinks, and you will need to adjust the yaw trim, which is left/right on the left stick. Upon completing that, the lights should now be on solid, and you can now get the motors to respond to throttle input. Slowly increase the minimum amount until all motors spin, and verify they are going the correct directions, and that the props are on correctly for those directions. Refer to the manual link above, it shows which way the motors should spin. Switch any two of the three wires to any motor that needs to be reversed.

Once completed, for your first flight I recommend that you give it a good amount of throttle quickly to get up off the ground cleanly, since slowly increasing throttle will cause it to lift off slowly and can drag or tilt as it hesitantly leaves the surface, potentially leading to a crash. It's better to "jump" up off the ground a few feet with a quick boost of throttle, and then bring it back to a lower throttle position and try to find its sweet spot for hovering. It doesn't have any altitude sensors, so it isn't going to perfectly hover at one altitude, it will always tend to be moving up or down slowly unless you focus real close on trimming the throttle in-flight to achieve a good hover, but then of course when you begin moving around you'll end up varying the throttle inputs to match up, so don't focus too much on trying to achieve a fixed altitude hover.

The other thing to remember is when it starts coming down, in whatever orientation, if things get wild just let off the sticks give it throttle, and it will take care of leveling itself out better than the pilot probably could, and more throttle helps slow it from hitting the ground. However, if things go bad, or even just when flying low or trying to land, if it looks like the Quadshot is going to soon be interacting with the ground, make sure to very quickly cut the throttle before it hits. I have not broken any props thanks to this. The Quadshot has its CG very close to the leading edge of the wing, which means that when trying to land, it is very easy for it to give a tiny bounce and flip to nose-down. This is also why I never land on a hard surface - always over grass. The little bounce-flip landing probably has happened to me half of my flights, but by always cutting the throttle at the last moment and being over grass, I have not damaged anything (although I have popped one pylon out of its snapped-in position, so make sure to check those after every landing and before each takeoff).

Hopefully this helps. Just thought I'd share my advice on setting up and flying the Quadshot Mocha. Good luck!

Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am

"When it is giving two slow blinks, now begin sliding the throttle trim down until it satisfies it and you begin getting a pattern of more blinks (sometimes you'll have a trim already in the right spot so it may go from two blinks to four, just so it's not unexpected if it seems to be weird that it might not blink each for 2, 3, 4, etc)."

Can´t get past this step.
no matter where i put the trim or throttle.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:20 pm

I wonder if the transmitter is even bound...

Do you get one blink if you set the mode switch to 2 or 3? A red light should come on, on the receiver, when the transmitter is on.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:26 pm

i get one blink when switching mode from 1 to 2, and the sos when i turn it off

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:46 pm

It should blink sos very rapidly if the transmitter isn't bound.

Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm

it is bound

Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:23 pm

I had this issue with mine when I first got it out of the box.
I'm not sure if what I did was the correct method or if it even truly had any affect but I rebound the TX to the RX with the trims set where they should be... Once I did that the throttle trim alarm (two slow blinks) changed to five slow blinks and the trim chasing continued from there.
I was able to eventually get it out of safe mode but it took a lot of time and effort.

Good luck.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:47 pm

tried rebounding it with throttle+trim in middel/top/botton no change

Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Nyppe,
It might be quickest if we send you a replacement Tx; sounds like you don't have full range on your throttle stick + trim which is why it won't go low enough to get out of safe mode.
Please email us with your name and address so we can make this happen.
Thanks.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]