Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
practicing in a simulator? 

Post practicing in a simulator?
Is there any simulator that can be used to train for flying the quadshot? Any models of the quadshot for such simulators? Does the transmitter that ships with the Mocha work with any simulator?

Thanks for any info. Sorry if this has already been covered. The search field for these forums doesn't allow me to search for the term "simulator", claiming that it is "too common" a term. I've run into what may be the same problem on phpbb boards before, in which it's impossible to search for any term or group of words regardless how rare or common.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Post Re: practicing in a simulator?
RealFlight 6 is my favorite simulator of the couple I have tried, and quadcopters / VTOL's / custom models are all within its capability. However it isn't cheap to get into, since it comes with a USB "transmitter" style controller, and is pricey as being the leading simulator on the market. But I have saved hundreds or even thousands of dollars on r/c airplanes if you count how many I've destroyed on my computer instead of real life. I considered its purchase an investment in my piloting skills, and I feel it has been a good investment.

To that end, I would say I'd even be willing to pay for a good RF6 model of the Quadshot, because I'd rather learn how NOT to wreck a virtual model, instead of having to learn the hard way with my expensive real-life version. Of course, to get that would require either somebody experienced with how the Quadshot should handle to learn how to make a model for RealFlight 6, or for somebody who knows how to make RealFlight 6 models to learn about the Quadshot and how it should handle. On the other hand, it would be a tough call to put all that effort into making the model for a flight simulator that is so expensive. But I think it's the best one out right now, and I'm confident it could handle the unique controls and flight characteristics of the Quadshot.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm

Hmm, I'm on a mac and would prefer to be able to stay in that environment rather than boot into Windows to run a simulator. Maybe Aerofly 5.7 would be an option?

Does anyone know which transmitter comes with the Mocha and whether it's a rebranded version of one that can be used as a controller with a simulator, or whether I'd need a dedicated USB controller?

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:23 pm

The transmitter is the same as a FlySky CT6B. It includes a programming cable (trainer port to USB) but I'm not sure if there's a way to use that as a joystick input, I'm sure it's probably out there somewhere how to do that.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 am

I have contacted Manuel from AeroSIM RC (http://www.aerosimrc.com). He is about to design a QuadShod SIM for their software.

I have used AeroSIM with a Spektrum DX8 and several of their multirotor SIM's.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:00 am

I just tested aerosim under vmware fusion v3 on my mac and it worked great. It appears to have been designed with multicopter and fpv practice in mind.

I'm curious which of the adapter cables I would need to purchase in order to use the FlySky CT6B controller with the software's dongle, the "Sanwa Transmitter Adapter Plug 3.5mm to Mini DIN-4 for Flight Simulator"?

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:47 am

You should adress your question directly to Manuel (info@aerosimrc.com).

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 am

The Quadshot's transmitter that came with my Mocha has the "S-Video" style trainer plug on the back side, and it came with a cable that goes from that to USB. I believe from there, you just need software (ppJoy?) to interpret it as a joystick. I know when it is plugged in and you are using the T6config program that comes on the disk with it, that you can see all the axis as they move, so then it's just a matter of having a different program that looks at those values and turns them into joystick values, which offhand I'm guessing ppJoy might be one place to try.

I did a quick Google search for "using ct6b as joystick" and the first several results all look to answer this question. As the saying goes, "when you need to know something, Google is your friend".

Here is the second link that looks like it has everything you need to make it work with the cable that comes with the radio (two programs):

http://blog.tinkmaster.com/?p=53

However, maybe that stuff doesn't work on mac. Include the word Mac in your Google search, and good luck.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:41 am

I can't find any info on using that transmitter as a joystick on mac. All the drivers I see out there, apart from one called turborix that's for configuring the stick, are for Windows only.

The reason I'm wondering what cable to buy for Aerosim, even though I'd be running it under Windows and could use ppjoy or some other joystick driver that supports the esky transmitter, is that it appears that Aerosim requires the use of the usb-transmitter dongle that ships with the software (doubling as an interface and a form of copy protection). So I'd need whatever cable goes from the transmitter to Aerosim's USB dongle.

The graphics in RealFly 5.7 look appealing, but Aerosim looks to be very oriented towards building multicopter and RC flying skills, and if Aerosim is going to support a quadshot model I'm in.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Manuel was very helpful, and I've ordered Aerosim. For future reference, here's info on which adapter cable should work with the FlySky CT6B and the Aerosim dongle, as per Manuel:

"The FlySky CT6B looks the same as HobbyKing 6TA, which we have successfully tested with the WFly adapter."

I hope the quadshot model for the simulator is developed and released quickly, but in the meantime I can probably learn quite a bit by trying to learn my way around other quadcopters and planes.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next