Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Flying in white after labor day? 

Post Flying in white after labor day?
Hello, I just received my Mocha yesterday. I tried to ask a question about painting the Mocha, but the software wouldn't post it because it "looked too spamy for a new user", and asked me to remove my bad words. IDK, is neophyte a bad word?

Can you paint em!?!

James

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 pm

Post Re: Flying in white after labor day?
Neophyte is a fine word. ;)

+1 on the question about paint that works well on Styrofoam.
I'll be hitting up my local hobby store tomorrow and see what they say as well.

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:19 pm

did it really say "spamy" - misspelled? LOL

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:20 pm

I have actually no idea on paint. I used a felt pen on one to mark problem areas and it rubs off. Maybe Sharpies will work? We have always marked ours by gluing on covering (thin colored plastic sheet for covering model airplanes) with 3M Super 77 or Super 90. I bet there are solutions posted on RCGroups...so far the only straight answer I have found is that any will work. BUT one post says that too much will melt it. So, more searching to be done.

Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Yeah, generally covering in ultrakote with 3M 77 spray glue is what's often recommended. It's a bit tricky, the spray glue can often go where you don't want it. And Ultrakote/monokote and similar coverings shrink with heat. They will actually relax a bit until the sun warms up the wing, usually that's a good thing, unless you've got it too tight somewhere.

Normally one applies ultrakote with an iron to glue it down *don't do this*, as you will likely melt the wing, hence the 3M 77 glue. I did tighten it a bit with a very carefully and gingerly applied heat gun on my EPS flying wing, with decent results. Patients is required, you can't undo, so gradual application of heat is key, should you decide to. Or skip it entirely.

High contrast colors recommended, with differentiation between top and bottom. Nuclear lime green and florescent orange are ideal for recognition, although frankly not the most attractive.

If you find a compatible spray paint, do tell.

Happy Skies-
-RG

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]