Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Payload 

Post Payload
You have accelerometers on board, but I don't see any readouts/specs on what kind of acceleration the quad copter can do - from hover to full throttle, for instance. What do the onboard instruments say? How much acceleration can it generate in swooping flight?

Also, I'm curious as to the payload capability - how much thrust can it generate in hover mode at what temperature and altitude? Can I attach a 500g camera + 300g lense, or would that woefully overload it? How about an 800 gram camera with the same lense?

Obviously, it could carry a heavier payload in wing mode than it could in hover mode, but landing could be important...

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:16 pm

Post Re: Payload
Seconded -- I just registered to ask this exact question so that I could determine whether the quadshot would be a good FPV platform, or whether there's even a slight chance that I could loft something weightier than a gopro on it.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:42 pm

Hey,
We will post acceleration and gyroscopic load specs in a little while.
As to the payload, we have flown with a canon vixia HF 100 which weighs about 425 grams. We would not recommend carrying something much heavier than that.
Certainly 500 gm of camera + 300 gm of lens will be too much for a Quadshot.
We are planning a higher payload/ endurance version that we will start prototyping after we have production rolling on the Quadshot.

As to fpv cameras, these come in various shapes/sizes. You can certainly fly with something of this nature: http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php? ... 274&page=1
We have flown this camera with a tx for streaming video, and the whole setup weighs in at about 110 gm.
In fact, if the fpv cam has servo inputs for pointing, our hardware and software can actually do stabilization for you as well from the Lisa board. We currently have stabilization in the pitch axis and will shortly enable stabilization routines in the other axes as well.
Thanks for writing in!
-tQt.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:53 pm

Will you be entering a derivative of this endurance version in the DARPA UAV Forge challenge? If so there is a group of us that would like to form/join a team with the quadshot creators. Our expertise is in precision navigation and computer vision with x-members of the Cornell DARPA Urban challenge team. We local in the bay area.

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]