Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Forum anti spam info and account deletion 
Site Admin

Post Forum anti spam info and account deletion
Hi,

Regarding our spam filtering and prevention system:

We used just Capcha at the very beginning, but it only barely prevented spam in the forum. I still had to spend about half an hour every day deleting spam.

That is why we are using http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Php ... pam_hammer now. The rules that are set are quite annoying but they prevent almost all of the spam that is hitting on our doors. We have about one spammer every month that manages to get past the system. This is a more manageable in our limited time we have.

One of the rules is that if you create an account and do not post anything in certain time frame, your account will be deleted by the "zombie registration" purge. This prevents spam sleepers that create tons of accounts to post spam later. To prevent that from happening to you, just write a post when you create your account (maybe introducing who you are, which QS you have, etc).

I know all of this is annoying but considering the limited amount of manpower we have it is necessary.

Independent of that, if someone from the community with phpBB experience has other suggestions for stopping spam, or even better - would like to help us administer and moderate of the forum, please write me a PM. With more mods, we may be able to tweak the settings so that it is less burden on everyone.

Cheers Piotr

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]