Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Quadshot Cappuccinos delivered! 

Post Quadshot Cappuccinos delivered!
I'm currently at work, but the wife just called to tell me my 2 Cappuccinos arrived. How am I supposed to stay at work?! Pictures and probably a build log at RCgroups to come!

AJ

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:04 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Quadshot Cappuccinos delivered!
Awesome!

Looking forward to read about your experiences. I am sorry for decreasing your productivity today. :)

Cheers Esden

Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Esden,
You have been doing that a lot lately!

AJ

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey guys. Thought I would post a link to my maiden flight. This was all done in Hover_Forward mode with the expo on quadratic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQOTsMBvRWA

Got the winglets glued on and the code modified to I can change the expo. Hopefully tomorrow I can go to the park and get out open her up a bit.

AJ

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Very nice AJ!
Can't wait to see some more footage (and get mine)!

Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 am

I did 2 quick test flights with the exponential patch I just committed to Esden's development branch. I found out I certainly need exponential! Great work adding that in guys, because it was rough flying without it. Still only in the yard, I hope tomorrow or Wednesday I get to the park to really try and play with the modes.

AJ

Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:37 am

All. Got a chance to fly a flight transitioning to Forward. Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtZM3lQkACo

A note about my gain comment. The vehicle does not oscillate, Im just really surprised at how far the servos move in reaction to rates. Its hard to see in the video, but they seem to move well over 50% travel without any real visible movement to justify it. Doesn't seem to have a negative effect, other than looking like its waving at you.

A note on the transition back to hover. when transitioning into hover there is a sweet spot for the throttle. Too little and the vehicle struggles to make the transition without falling out of the sky, too much and there isnt enough control authority left, and you just go rocketing into the sky. What you see here was me failing to add a little throttle during the transition so as to not start falling. Once I added throttle it locked up nicely in the hover. The Mocha manual on the wiki covers this quite well, its just a lot of information to remember when you are flying around this beast!

AJ

Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Very nice AJ - it looked like you had complete control at all times.
Your QS seems to fly at a less pronounced angle of attack than the videos The Quadshot Team has posted, have you tweaked this?

Those clouds looked pretty ominous!

Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:58 am

hey Bob, no I did not tweak this. What I have found is that flying in any wind is very weird for an experiences RC pilot flying quadshot. I suppose you could have the same effect in no wind, but the presence of it seems to aggravate the phenomenon.

What I am talking about here is QS's ability to fly at any angle of attack. Its optimized to try and fly at 8 degrees when the stick is neutral, but as a pilot I tend to try and fly it like I would a normal RC airplane. Into the wind as it climbs it gains quite a bit of AOA, in addition, because I lose altitude on the downwind legs I tend to give quite a bit of elevator to climb during the up wind. These 2 combine to add a lot of AOA! Its really about learning to fly all 4 inputs, which Im still working on. Throttle is really the scary one for me right now because in forward flight throttle is insane, and I am just not calibrated to the amount of stick required for different portions of the envelope. I will say some care should be taken, this thing is not a speed demon, when I got it really cruising I started to see some shaking that could be mistaken for flutter. I think it was probably just gain scaling issues, but just so you know!

AJ

Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]