Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Waypoints? 

Post Waypoints?
Hi, I need to know before I buy one of these how easy it would be to program a Quadshot to fly autonomous waypoints like a UAV. Would that capability be supported with Paparazzi? I say that as someone who has never so much as used Paparazzi, can a newbie pick it up and make a Quadshot fly waypoints?

My purchase of a Quadshot hinges on his fact, the lab I work in flies multicopters but we are looking to extend our flight times/cover more area.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:38 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Waypoints?
Support of fully autonomous flight with the Quadshot is a work in progress. TU-Delft team Atmos invested an incredible amount of energy to make it possible, flying a transitioning vehicle autonomously is not as simple as it sounds. :D

They have shown that it is possible however, by hovering, transitioning and flying for a good distance completely autonomously. I would definitely not say that this functionality is beginner ready though. There is still a fair share of work needed to clean up the rough edges and get all the needed bits and peaces from the Atmos competition code base back into the upstream paparazzi.

You can see some videos documenting flights demonstrating that functionality here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyDTCmmqkOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B14mZXjOhCQ

I hope you still decide to join the excitement of paparazzi and be one of the pioneers in autonomous multi lifting device vehicle control systems. And join the Open Source effort in making it easily accessible to everyone. :)

Cheers Esden

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:50 pm

Maybe a simpler solution for the same results would be not a completely autonomous flight but live transmission of GPS posiiton onto a map visible on a computer so that you could pilot it towards the waypoint.

Is this possible?
Is it possible with the mocha one, retrofitted with gps and xbee modules?

Martin

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:26 pm

Martin,
Just obtaining a GPS track on the paparazzi ground station (with a map overlay) is reasonably straightforward if you have an appropriate gps unit and xbee telemetry modules set up.
With the Mocha version, because the board is not connectorized, some amount of work (connectorizing and/or soldering) definitely needs to be done to set all this up, which probably makes it tricky for beginners.

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]