Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
ppm adapter 

Post ppm adapter
Hi,

an adapter board for a different radio than Specktrum has been mentioned to be developed. Will be possible to purchase this board together with Expresso or is it already part of the whole package?

Thnx guys.

Nice to read about the progress, can't wait to lay my hands on my Expresso. :)

Best regards,

David

Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: ppm adapter
Hi David,

The adapter boards will be available in our shop at http://thequadshot.com.

We can't wait to send the Espressos out either. :)

Cheers Piotr

Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:58 pm

Perfect!

Can I place an order for the board that it will come together with the Expresso? :)

Best regards from Slovenia,

David

p.s. Have you heard about a Slovenian airplane company Pipistrel, which won the NASA CAFE (Comparative Aircraft Flight Efficiency) challenge three times in a row? The last winning was a few months ago where we presented the world's most efficient airplane. It was flying 100 mph for 200 miles with average consumption of 400 miles per passenger per gallon of fuel (or equivalent amount of energy). And, here is the kicker, it was pure electric. :)
If anybody interested:
http://www.pipistrel.si/news/pipistrel- ... the-third-
http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_s ... index.html
Just spreading the news... :)

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 am

any update on the ppm adapter?

Cheers!

Fri May 04, 2012 4:09 pm

We have put a hold on developing the PPM board any further. We found that the transmitter we chose for the QS outputs a PPM signal and have gotten it flying without the adapter board last week. We will, however, focus on getting the PPM board into production soon after the Kickstarter rewards have shipped.

Tue May 08, 2012 4:16 am

hi

about the receiver that has a ppm output... is it possible to connect it to QS? as i can see for now the only option is spektrum like receiver.

can you give some instructions on how to modify the QS for ppm receiver?

many thaks

best regards

david

Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm

HI David, just an update on the PPM board situation:

We were working on an updated version of the DIYDrones PPM Encoder v2 (https://store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm), which was itself an update of the Paparazzi PPM Encoder Board (http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/ATmega_PPM_Encoder_Board).. isn't open source hardware cool? :-)

Anyway, as you are probably already aware, the goal of all of these boards is the same, namely to combine the 6-8 separate servo outputs from a regular receiver (AM, FM, DSM, etc etc) and combine them (actually REcombine them) into a single signal. This single signal can then be efficiently read in by Lia, Lisa, or other autopilot boards.

Our original plan was to use these with the FlySky CT6B TX/RX we include with Mochas, but it turned out that the CT6B RX was itself already outputting a single combined output on the normally unused signal pin on the BAT/BIND channel. Since PPM boards are neither free nor weightless, we put our design on hold and went the direct route of just connecting the signal from this pin directly to Lia.

However, there shouldn't be any hardware issue preventing the use of the DIYDrones PPM Encoder v2 with any radio/receiver combo and a Lia or Lisa.. but since radios can vary drastically, Paparazzi needs a "radio file" describing your radio's behavior (eg, channel order, minimum, center, and maximum command values, normal/reverse channel sense, etc). There are a 30+ of these already included with Paparazzi, so yours may be all ready to go, or you might have to modify one to get your setup working - check out http://paparazzi.enac.fr/wiki/Radio_Control to see what's involved.

We have one of the DIYDrones boards and will get it connected up to see exactly what it outputs, and will update here and/or on the Paparazzi wiki with our results. Or, have a go yourself and let us know what you find out! :-)

Cheers,
//Jeff

Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Jeff

so if I understand correctly you and the assembly manual in receivers section: if i can get a ppm signal out of my receiver I can plug it directly to lisaM without any other changes? no software changes?
Is the signal polarity important? Does 0V means digital 1 or digital 0?

best regards from slovenia

David

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi :D
just got the answer for my question about software changes for ppm signal.
So my new question now is how to update the software on the Lisa M?
:)

Thnks,

David

Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:13 pm

If you can get a PPM signal from your receiver then yes, you should be able to plug it into Lisa/Lia directly. If you CANT get a PPM signal out, then you'd use the PPM board to combine all the separate outputs from your receiver into a single PPM signal. Any software changes needed depend on the exact formatting of the PPM signal as I mentioned before, since there's no full standard for channel order, signal ranges, or polarity (0V being digital 1 or 0 as you mentioned).

In any case, to update the software on the Lisa/M you have to have the Quadshot-specific version (branch) of Paparazzi installed on your computer. You then connect the Lisa/Lia via USB and command Paparazzi to re-flash its code. As I I mentioned in your post in the software and programming thread, we are working on a full tutorial for this and will put it up ASAP.

Cheers,
//Jeff

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]